Monday, March 14, 2011

Makeover: Classroom Edition

This January I was pulled in to teach Pre-K 4 at my daughter's Catholic school. The teacher who has been doing it for years left to be a nurse, so they needed someone pretty quick. I've never taught, but after lots of prayer and conversations knew it was my gig.

The kids adjusted really well to their new teacher, and I'm loving my job. Oh, the things that come out of the mouths of 4 year-olds! One of the first things I did was give my room a major makeover. I think that if you and your students are going to spend all day every day looking at walls, they should be awesome. So... here was my weekend project a couple months ago...

I started with the "News Room - Weather Station" and School house (morning Math Meeting, Circle Time, and Calendar)...

Then moved to the Art Depot (where they house art supplies) and City Park (picnics and such).Next you'll see Le Cafe (Kitchen Center - don't worry, someone donated a bigger kitchen!) and the Boutique (dress-up)...

then, of course, no town is complete without a Library...

and a Church, which still needs a little work. Should probably add a steeple. (Church calls us to be leaders, hence the Leader Board. My kids each have their own symbol, and their leader duties change each week by switching around their symbols, which are Velcroed on. The Line Leader is a pocket that houses all the symbols, and changes daily.)

Behind my desk I stapled on different colored construction paper, which gave it a fun and bright effect. Nice for a bulletin board, eh? :)


It was a really fun project, and the kids LOVE it! (Parents do, too! I've gotten lots of great feedback.)I enjoy walking into Mrs. Kelly's Christian City every day (I forgot to take a picture of the door, which is a sky, trees, hills, and street signs. Each kid's name is a street sign, for example, Sarah Blvd. or Cory Ave.

A couple tissue paper clouds completed the project... for now. :)



Dum spiro, spero!
Jai

1 comment:

  1. So, so cute! You did a great job on it! I know the kids (and parents!) love walking into it.

    ReplyDelete