Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Extreme Makeover: Dollhouse Edition

So Spring Break FLEW by, and I find that I did not accomplish NEAR as much as I'd have liked. However, my house is CLEAN and somewhat gutted (as in 4 huge black trash bags, and a couple small trash bags and boxes), Annie's room is complete, my room is clear, ALL my laundry is done, and my kids are bathed, so I think I did okay.

I started a couple projects that I'll work on finishing this weekend (fabric rosettes over a hideous shell design on my mirror, and Annie's name for her wall), but in the meantime, I'll have a nostalgic post.

Last year my dear friend picked up an old dollhouse at a sneak-peek pre-garage sale. She got the house, and all the furnishings, for TEN BUCKS. Yes, ten. Score of the decade. I decided that since Annie already had the dollhouse (I wanted to get it for her for Christmas, but we got it too early to hide it for months), I'd renovate it for her Christmas gift. Also, since I don't own a home, and will probably not get the chance to renovate my own space for a long time, this gave me a little home renovation fix. :)

I started with the bathroom, painting a black and white checkered "tile" floor, and lime and blue swirled wall. I added tiny little hand-drawn pictures to the wall.

Moved on to paint the "hardwood floor" in the living room,

And "stone floor" in the kitchen. The staircase became black with red and pink alternating steps, and could still use a little tlc.

The house was coming along, but so was Christmas! I busted out the last few details a couple days before the big reveal.



Living room wall is a blue-grey with silver sunburst. The other wall reads "relax...", and the window has little beads hot-glued into the corners. THAT turned out cute. I glued a little flower bead onto the front door as the knob.

The kitchen wall was painted red, and I hung a little "stained glass" window in the window. "K" is for Kelly, of course. The lamp is paper i colored swirls on, hanging by beaded wire.


The staircase wall is complete with some art, a "family photo", and a beaded cross. (Booo on the dark picture! It was dark outside, and a flash washed out the whole photo.)

Added some black curtains to the bathroom (ribbon tied with sequined thread), and the bedroom got purple and blue walls (went for a Mediterranean feel. The pink and yellow design on the wall needs some serious help, but the "painting" turned out cute.), a beaded wire embellishment in the window, and got fresh carpet laid.

Then it was on to the front. What to do... what to do? Yuck...


So I added some landscaping, and painted the shutters and shingles. :)


Swirled porch corners, a red door, and a welcome mat made it HOME!


Needless to say, Annie's reaction was priceless.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Does she still play with it? I would love to watch the video again but it is set to private. (which is probably a good thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww....can't see the reaction video! I love that doll house. Great job!

    ReplyDelete