Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Origin of Scribble Crabble

My daughter, the artist.

She dressed herself for school on Wednesday. I had her in jeans and a long sleeved t, which I thought was appropriate for the day, but she had something else in mind. She disappeared into her room and called for me a few minutes later. Upon entering, this is what I saw...


















You'll notice a pink flowered shirt, red skirt, purple argyle tights and bow-y shoes. You'll also notice I hadn't yet brushed her hair for the day. Let me give you a close-up of the important part...


















Those shoes are Tinkerbell "high heels." And she wasn't done.



















Until she added a sparkly silver belt, of course (and changed into "school shoes" per my request). We talked about it as we brushed our teeth.

Me: "You look cute. Do you match?"
Annie: "No."
Me: "Do you want to match?"
Annie: "Nope."
She is her mother's daughter. :)


Annie dresses in bizarre get-ups without regard for reason, and she's got a real knack for mixed-media art. See what I mean:















This is me, surrounded by a glue heart, complete with flowers in my hand (and one on my skirt), white yarn hair that was "painted blond", and... get this.... pantyhose. :) Yep, she even threw on pantyhose, though I rarely, if ever, wear them.




















This is a costume she made at school. It's cuter when it's on her. The material she glued on to it was apparently donated, and an old work in progress. It came complete with about a dozen pins sticking out in random places. Thankfully Laura realized it before Annie was forever scarred of costumes.


















This is a garden Annie put together. She is the short flower, and I'm the taller one. The really tall one, which was a car sticker before she cut it out, was Jeff. The small car, the one she separated with a line and circle (which was really profound without her knowing) is Will. Crazy, eh? (Yes, the "eh" is Canadian).


I call this one "Glitter and glue on paper." She told me that it sort of looks like a butterfly.
I'm telling you, that girl is an artist. :)
And so, this leaves the question about scribble crabble. I don't have a picture off hand, but Annie sometimes creates random drawings... scribbles, if you will. This also occurs sometimes when she's coloring.
She's an artist. And, though she respects and appreciates the lines that keep her in bounds, she's also not afraid to venture out of them to see what happens. And, many times, the result is something beautiful and unique.
And what does she call this rebellion?
Scribble Crabble.
I thought it was a good idea at the time. It's still growing on me. :)
P.S. I hate this blog setup. Don't think I haven't noticed that pictures and captions post all sporadically. It's a big pain, and I don't understand why it's doing this. But I'm tired, I'm done with messing with it, and I'm going to bed. Happy Birthday to me, thanks Mom for bringing me in, and good night.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....she just might be a trend-setter. Looks like everything was sorta in the same color spectrum..... Of course, she'd be beautiful in a paper sack. Oh--wait, she wore one of those, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet artist she is. And I love "Scribble Crabble." I originally thought you forgot a letter "s," but now it makes sense. And I hear ya on the blog formatting thing. Don't worry about it, the message and the pictures are all that count. (Well, that is what I'm going to say if anyone ever complains about what a mess my blog is.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, does she have green eyeshadow on???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you allowed her to wear her creative outfit to school! Three cheers for individuality!

    ReplyDelete