Monday, February 16, 2009

Blog One, third time 'round...

So, yes, I'm back on the blog wagon. Too much to say, nowhere to say it? Nah. I just like to write. And ramble. I'm thinking of this as my, um, ramble du jour of sorts. So, without further ado, my first blog of my third attempt at blogging. :)


_________________


Dinner Series!!!



My dinner series was a success! I mean, it was even more than that. As a requirement for my degree plan, I had to host a dinner at Texas Tech's restaurant, Skyviews.


The plan: create a theme and menu (and have it recreated by Chef), and get one hundred people there.
The catch: get one hundred people there who are willing to pay $30 bucks a person.
The crap: I was lucky enough to draw #1, meaning that I had essentially three weeks to pull it together (decorations, menu, theme, guests).
The crappier: I was gone for a week to Canada (another blog later), so I had TWO weeks to plan it.
The crappiest: my partner was a guy. Who didn't really know what to do without me. :) (But who, to his credit, was a great sport when I told him what to do and freaked out on him once. Okay, twice.)






The theme was "Opposites Attract" (Our idea was Dinner for Two in a Bottle of Brew, where we'd do beer foods, but the other days tweaked it a little. All good. I still threw in a beer bottle to the table deco.)





















We pulled it together in about two weeks, and it went flawlessly. My family rocks. My community and friends are fabulous. And God was on my side. We (I) got 104 people there, with the help of a couple "secret donors" and a lot of word of mouth.


(My ten minute creation: I call it "Paint on a Used Canvas")

My Slaton community and my Lubbock peeps seriously pulled through. They all came out to eat a gourment crab and avocado pizzaiola, spicy cheddar beer soup (YUM), four other foods made somehow with beer, and an ice cream trio featuring, get this, wasabi brown sugar lime ice cream. You'd just have to try it to make up your mind. It was like, in the words of my friend Savanna, edible art.



(The Slaton crew)















(My precious with her Chef-delivered dinner of chicken, fries, and strawberries)



(Clockwise: Roasted pepper, cucumber, and tomato salad with poached shrimp and Guinness viniagrette, Monte Cristo chicken with raspberry Shiner glaze, Spicy cheddar beer soup, Ace Pear Cider beer puff with pear and brie, and Blue Moon glazed blue cheese balls rolled in walnut and bacon - that was the weird one)



(From left: Raspberry peppercorn, Black and Tan - Chocolate ice cream with Guinness and Bass Pale ale with vanilla, layered, with an edible orchid, and the infamous wasabi brown sugar lime ice cream)


All in all, my dinner was fabulous. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to all those who came to support me (especially my BEAUTIFUL sister who came from Austin just to be at her lil sista's dinner! And Laura, my little helper who kept me on the edge of sanity that day). And a special thank you to those who couldn't come but supported me anyway!




(Me and my lovely sister. No, I'm not on her lap. We're squatting as to reduce the hereditary double chin picture-face.)




(The prophets, the priest, and the parents. :) )


Yesssss. Another check off my "about to graduate" list! Whoop!

(El fin)


Okay, off to study for a test in Legals manana.
Weech me luck.

7 comments:

  1. hah! Yay!!!! I'm so glad it went well!!! I'm glad you're blogging too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job and I hope you got the "A" to prove it! Glad I could be a part of it. And I'm glad you have a fun blog, but are you ever going to finish the other one? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I am happy you are blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, of course.

    Hint #1: Some of us think a few short posts on most days is better than a flood of words every now and then.

    Hint #2: It's okay to deactivate an old blog so you can concentrate on one.

    God bless you 'n' yours...real good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! I loved the picture story of your stellar dinner night. I know there are some envious people out there reading it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...is one of those envious people reading it! ;o)
    Great job on your Dinner Series! And thanks for stirring up memories of mine...good times.

    I'm glad your sister bragged on your blog, because if I didn't blog-stalk HER I'd have never found YOURS.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You gonna make me some of those dishes to go along with beer-battered bacon when we get back?

    ReplyDelete